Friday, October 16, 2009

Heroes of Newerth Preview

Heroes of Newerth is a DOTA remake made by S2 games. It contends with League of Legends, and this is my full preview of the game. Overall, I'll sum it up with a few words: More faithful to DOTA, but a less epic stand-alone game compared to League of Legends - 7/10.

The UI is very solid, much like LoL. A few things are placed in different places than LoL, but it's really the same as LoL and even WC3.

The Champions are amazing. The choice, the selection is so varied and each champion is unique. Each champion is alot more in-depth than LoL.

The store is very similar to LoL, in fact, the game is pretty much LoL, except...

The map. The map I played on, rather than something like this, the map is something like this. If you notice, the HoN map has a small extra path in the corners of the map for the corner roads, which are great for running away in terror and hiding while your teammates get owned. It's a nice little feature.

Matchmaking is a bitch. Seriously. With LoL, you enter what you want to play, and then you get a list of games. You click the game you want, you join, and you wait for full. Occasionally, the "Start" button would be missing, but a small glitch that could be fixed by disbanding. But holy shit. The matchmaking system for HoN SUCKS. You get the big fat map of games. Try clicking a game that you think will work. "This game is full"... "This game is already in progress"... "This game sucks"... It must've taken me 50 attempts before I found a game to play in, which was then spent waiting in the room for thirty minutes with nobody entering the game. So I left, clicked another 50 games before I got into another... Well, eventually I got in a few games.

But I hate it. Why would you have a game for the selection list labeled as 4v4 with 6/8 members be "in progress and unable to join?" Fail.

Dunno, I guess I just suck at entering games.

There's not much to say. It's pretty much a DOTA remake. I'll be buying it, but not if it's over the thirty dollars LoL costs, seeing as how I like LoL much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment