Thursday, September 24, 2009

Addiction, Nerds and Aion, Oh My!


So, I decided to write a big post today. Just randomly decided. I'm bored.

Today's first topic is addiction. Now, I have never myself, missed too many activities or events for WoW. However, yesterday I was talking to my friend. I brought up the subject of WoW, to which he said "Man, you still play that game? You're addicted bro." - I simply laughed. Sure, occasionally I would pass on going out for dinner for pizza because of a raid night. But I don't say "No, I don't wanna go out for a bike ride, I want to do a heroic!". Sure, I play alot. In fact, I play so much, it's probably not healthy. But I'm not throwing my life away. Over the weekend I sit in my basement in my underwear and play video games. Should a friend call me, I will hang out with them, after I put on some pants. Now, one arguement I've heard countless times is that in games such as WoW there is no real end to the game. Which is why I simply say, that's why I pay a monthly fee. Let's take Portal for example. It's a wonderful game. But it took me maybe three hours to beat the game. Sure, I can replay it, but it's not new content. I pay a monthly fee of 15 dollars a month, rather than buying a new 50 dollar game every month. Maybe once a year I buy a $100 dollar WoW game, but that's pretty good... Another point of addiction I want to bring up is again, referencing that "There is no end to the game" arguement. Well, if I logged into WoW right now, I could hunt for achievements, get a ton of gold, get better gear, everything. But no. There is more for me to do, yes. But now? I'm sitting AFK in Pandaemonium. I've gotten to level 10 in Aion and gotten my wings, and it's a very fun game. However, am I going to level to 50? Yes, simply because I already bought a year of subscription time and want to review the game at level cap and see the Abyss. However, if I'm addicted to WoW, how come I can stop? Sure, I'm playing another game, but that's my HOBBY. Oh well. And last but not least, I play other games with an "end to them", such as WArcraft or Starcraft, considering my favorite aspect is campaign mode, and I also enjoy those types of games and nobody considers people addicted to RTS or FPS games as much as MMOs.

Second, nerds. Now, I'm not going to talk about the difference between a nerd or a geek, or which games turn you into nerds, or how smelly they are, but in fact I am going to discuss casual gamers and nerds. Now, I guess I could consider myself a nerd. Now, me and my best friend play WoW, we play Starcraft, we play Diablo, we play LoL and HoN and Aion. We are considered gamers. Hardcore gamers. However, then comes the casual gamer. This is Pretty much everyone at my high school. They play MapleStory. Do you know what that is? It's a 2D side scrolling MMORPG. It's pretty sad. It's a terrible game compared to WoW, not even close - you press Control to attack and have no abilities, and the graphics are worse than Runescape. Like I said, 2D. It's a kids game. However, when these games are mentioned and kids are telling their friends about how "On Maple, I killed the dragon and got his treasure and it was awesome!", but when me and my friend are talking about whether Illidan's descent into evil was based off his love of Tyrande or his obsession for power, or both options combined, we are treated as nerds? The same goes for RuneScape, FreeRealms, ToonTown or any other online game. It's for kids. My brother is 6, he plays Webkinz. It's a fun little game and he gets to take care of his pets and play fun mini-games, for a six year old. However, what makes me most upset is how my peers respond to any criticism of MapleStory. Make fun of their game and claim yours is better, and expect to be shot down instantly. It's really quite sad, but I am kind of happy they don't play WoW.

And last but not least, I mentioned Aion, didn't I? Well, you all know my current post schedule.

October 9 - Razer Naga/Aion Unboxing, Heroes of Newerth Preview
October 16 - Aion Review, Razer Naga Review
October 23 - the Hallowed, Guide

Now, look at October 9th. Aion Review. Well, make that Part 1. On the 9th I will discuss the game's questing, combat system, UI, economy, that kind of stuff. However, Part 2 will come as soon as I reach max level, or level 50, on Aion. So, probably not for a bit. Part 2 should include the Abyss, dungeons, and other such endgame activities.

Well, until October 9th, I'm EpicPhoenix, and you're reading my blog.

Also, this is for a contest.

I've always loved Razer products, but my current gear just isn't putting out. I'd be eternally grateful if you hooked me up with a Razer Mamba, Razer Megaladon and Razer Mako

For those of you who want to get a shot at winning your dream Razer gaming suite, go to eu.razerzone.com/dreamsuitecontest/

No comments:

Post a Comment